Today we are enjoying Alice's Tea in Honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe! I honestly don't know how she comes up with such clever ideas - she has a gift for thinking a of clever ways to incorporate so many foods (some of which I have never before purchased) into tools for faith formation and education.
And I just have to say that this is all a lot easier than it looks. Alice even made a shopping list for convenience and my 5-8 year old children helped prepare pretty much every single item!
Here is our plate of symbolic food. Clockwise from noon are:
- tortilla tilma filled with ham slice roses
- gummy worm "crushed serpent"
- an apple slice for a crescent
- cheese slice bishop's mitre
- toddler puffs for the 47 stars
- pringle sombrero in the middle
- praying hands sandwich on pumpernickel
- the Mexican hot chocolate is on the right, but got cut off
- and we just used some Vruit juice for "Roses from Heaven" punch
Sadly, our store did not carry the Stella D'oro cookies for the angel wings! And I won't even photograph the cookie church. I tried to cheat by using RediWhip and it just didn't hold up.Next year I will know to use real whipping cream!
Our lunch of course followed the annual reading of DePaola's Lady of Guadalupe.